The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) joins Live Healthy Iowa in reminding Iowans that March is National Nutrition Month®. This year’s theme, “Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day" focuses on building a personalized eating plan.
“There are hundreds of ‘diet plans’ Iowans have to choose from if they are hoping to lose weight or simply improve their health,” said IDPH Director, Dr. Mariannette Miller-Meeks. “The key to long-term health, however, is not a diet that requires you to eat certain foods or avoid others. Good nutrition means making healthy choices that fit into your lifestyle.” The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these tips for building a personalized eating plan:
- Personalize your eating style. The easiest way to get the nutrients your body needs is to eat healthy foods you enjoy. Finding good-for-you foods that please your palate makes eating healthfully special and exciting.
- Eat for your lifestyle. Athletic, vegetarian/vegan, corporate and family lifestyles all have special nutritional needs, but eating right can be easy and tasty if you pay attention to those foods that best help get you through the day.
- Incorporate cultural and ethnic traditions. Foods from around the globe often incorporate an abundance of unique, flavorful and nourishing ingredients. Keep traditions alive and bring the world to your family's table.
- Keep health concerns in mind. A healthful eating plan can help prevent and treat a variety of health concerns. With modification and moderation, you can enjoy your favorite foods while meeting your nutritional needs and health goals.
- Make MyPlate your plate. Fill half of your plate with your favorite fruits and vegetables; keep protein portions lean and about three ounces; make at least half of your grain choices whole grains; and be sure to include low-fat or fat-free dairy products like milk and yogurt. Visit www.choosemyplate.gov/ for more information.
Live Healthy Iowa offers participants unlimited access to healthy recipes and other useful nutrition resources at www.livehealthyiowa.org. Visit www.EatRight.org/NNM for a variety of helpful tips, games and education resources designed to spread the message of good nutrition