The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) will highlight rural health and safety issues at the 2012 Farm Progress Show in Boone, August 28th through 30th. More than 11,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor exhibits will focus on health issues ranging from grain bin rescues to skin cancer screening. Dozens of public and private partners, including the Department of Natural Resources, Iowa Workforce Development, Iowa Department of Transportation, the Governor’s Traffic Safety Bureau, the State Hygienic Lab, Iowa Sports Foundation, the Healthiest State Initiative, and the Midwest Dairy Council will join IDPH for a variety of displays and demonstrations.
“Farming is a business with an increased risk of injury or premature death,” said Kathy Leinenkugel, coordinator of the IDPH Occupational Health and Safety Surveillance program and the 2012 Farm Progress Show Health and Safety Tent area. “Daily chores can become impossible if you develop a chronic disease like arthritis, heart disease, or lung disorders. Do you know your options for improving your health and safety? You can learn about choices that can lower your risks at this year’s Health & Safety Tent.”
- Information and resources from IDPH will include:IDPH Division of Environmental Health, which will highlight public health tracking and environmental health services and offer information about pesticide, poisoning, injury, hearing, and occupational safety resources.
- IDPH Division of Behavioral Health, which will offer resources and information about substance abuse, brain injury services, gambling prevention, domestic violence prevention, and injury prevention.
- IDPH Division of Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention, which will offer information about cancer prevention and screenings and other chronic disease topics.
- IDPH Division of Acute Disease Prevention and Emergency Response, which will highlight infectious disease prevention.
- Iowa e-Health, a public-private collaboration led by IDPH, to improve health care quality, safety and efficiency through the use of health information technology.
The IDPH Health and Safety Tent is booth number 742 at the Farm Progress Show. For more information on the event, visit http://farmprogress.com/farm-progress-show/main.aspx.