County Public
Health Contacts
Find Us on Facebook

Follow IDPH on Twitter
Tattoo Program

Program Home

Tattoo artist applying a tattoo to a person's arm

What does the Tattoo Program do?

For a current list of licensed artists and establishments, see the Resources page.

Frequently Asked Questions

I would like to practice tattooing or cosmetic tattooing, what do I need to do?

  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D. (On-line high school diplomas are not acceptable)
  • Must complete Bloodborne Pathogen and Standard First Aid Training
  • Must complete Tattoo Artist Application
  • Must submit fee of $75.00 along with application

What is required to open a permanent tattoo establishment?

  • Must complete Permanent Establishment Application
  • Must submit $100.00 fee along with the application
  • Must be located in a commercially-zoned building
  • Must pass inspection conducted by the Designated Inspection Agency
  • Must meet all requirements outlined in 641 Iowa Administrative Code, Chapter 22 (Refer to the Iowa Code link at the top of this page)

I would like to host a tattoo convention or event, what do I need to do?

  • Must complete either a Mobile Unit Application or a Temporary Establishment Application
  • Refer to the Guidelines for Tattoo Establishments

Is body piercing regulated by state law?

  • No, body piercing is not regulated by state law. However, some county or city health departments may have body piercing regulations. Be sure to check with your county or city health department.

What is required to move my establishment to a new location?

  • Must complete a Change of Location form. (Located under the Establishments link)
  • Must submit $25 fee along with form
  • Must have new establishment inspected prior to opening.

Can a minor get a tattoo if they have parental consent?

  • No, individuals under the age of 18 are prohibited from getting a tattoo, regardless of parental consent.