In 1996 the Iowa Legislature established an Anatomical Gift Public Awareness and Transplantation Fund (see Iowa Code 142C.15). At the time of motor vehicle registration or renewal, Iowans are asked if they wish to donate a dollar or more to this fund. These donated funds may be used to award grants to the following:
- Category 1. State agencies or nonprofit entities to conduct public awareness projects;
- Category 2. Hospitals for in-hospital anatomical gift public awareness projects and referral protocols, and;
- Category 3. Transplant recipients or candidates, living organ donors or legal representatives, for transplantation expenses not covered by a third-party payer.
- Reimbursements to Category 3 recipients and donors are considered State Aid and therefore will not generate a form 1099 for taxes. As per Iowa Code 422.7(44), donors may subtract unreimbursed travel and lodging expenses and lost wages in an amount not to exceed $10,000. Applicants should confer with a financial advisor if any questions.
- Category 3 Application Form
- Guidelines - Category 3
Expenses incurred by awardees are reimbursed upon receipt and approval of supportive documentation.
Category 1 and 2 awards are based on an annual competitive process; Category 3 grants are reviewed on an on-going basis and as funds allow.
For more information:
- Call (515) 281-4636, or
- Use the "Contact Us" page to submit questions online.