There are healthy options available in almost every restaurant menu. These are key words that will help you identify if something is lower in fat and calories.
- Baked Steamed
- Garden fresh
- Red sauce
Here are some key words that may alert you that something is high in calories and fat.
- Au gratin
- Hollandaise sauce
Healthy Dining Tips
- Ask for salad dressing, butter, cream cheese or sauces on the side.
- Ask for the chef to use half the oil when preparing vegetables.
- Select tomato based sauces instead of cream white sauces.
- Ask for half the cheese on your pizza.
- Select broth based soups instead of cream based.
- You do not have to clean your plate! When you begin to feel full, box the rest up for the next day.
- Put your silverware down in between bites. It takes your body 20 minutes to realize it's full so s-l-o-w d-o-w-n.
- Limit your frequency to buffets and all you can eat specials.
- Skip the cheese on sandwiches.
- Share one dessert with the entire table.
Nutrient Content Specifics for Popular Restaurants